No matter what the chosen alignment of a Force-user, some powers are so basic and essential that they are inherent to all. These are known as the Core Powers. Unless otherwise stated, all trained Force-users are assumed to know these skills. Some, however, may have a greater mastery over a particular Core Power than others. In addition, more advanced versions of some Core Powers may be considered their own unique power.
- Force Speed: the ability to increase one's speed past their normal limits.
- Force Jump: the ability to augment one's natural leaping ability.
- Telekinesis: the ability to lift objects, according to one's concentration, and move them in any direction. Common examples of this power are Force Push and Force Pull.
- Force Sense: the ability to feel another being's feelings, the future, ripples in the Force caused by momentous or traumatic events, or impending danger. One well-known and frequently used application is sensing the presence of other Force-users, usually (if not exclusively) after prior acquaintance. One might compare it to seeing a crowd of people. Some stand out on their own; some stand out because their faces are familiar.
- Telepathy: the ability to mentally communicate over small or vast distances with other individuals. Stable verbal telepathy, the projection of entire conversations, is widely considered to be impossible.